British citizens can travel Europe for a maximum of 90 days without obtaining a visa although UK are not belong to Schengen Area. All British Overseas Territories citizens, British Overseas citizens, British Protected Persons, British Subjects are also allowed to travel visa free to the EU Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days.
Who can apply for a Schengen visa in the UK?
To apply for a Schengen Visa from UK, there is a mandatory requirements that your UK residence permit must be valid for at least another three more months beyond the date you plan to leave the Schengen Area.
People who are traveling in UK by a visa cannot apply for a Schengen visa from UK. They need to come back to their home country to apply this type of visa at an appropriate Schengen embassy.
However, not every UK resident is eligible to apply for a Schengen visa while being in the UK. You should check out if you qualify to apply for a Schengen visa from the UK by Schengen visa eligibility checker beforehand.
Required documents for the UK residents
To apply for a Schengen visa for the UK residents, they should collect the following required documents:
- • A valid passport or Travel document. Make sure your passport has been issued within the previous 10 years, has 2 full blank pages, one for the visa stamp and an additional spare page, should be valid for at least three (3) months
- • A valid UK residence permit or other form of Identity Card.
- • One complete and signed Schengen visa application form
- • One photo pasted on the application form.
- • A cover letter explaining the purpose of the visit to the Schengen area
- • Proof of travel arrangements: It can be round trip flight/travel reservations or flight itinerary
- • Schengen Travel Insurance
- • Hotel reservations.
- • A recent statement of UK current account or travelers checks showing funds of a minimum of £55 per person per day spent in the Schengen area.
There are some specific requirements for employee and unemployed applicants that you should pay attention as follows:
- • If applicants are employee. They must submit reference letter of employment in the United Kingdom confirming salary, position and date of vacations.
- • If applicants are self-employed. They must prepare a recent letter that specifies professional activity, starting date, business registration, revenues from their solicitor or accountant or bank Manager or local Chamber of Commerce, VAT certificate
- • If applicants are students in UK. They need collect an official recent (less than 3 months old) letter from their school, college or university within the UK.
- • If applicants are retirees. They must submit a pension statement of the latest 6 months
- • If applicants are unemployed or married to a UK citizens. They must collect a recent (less than 3 months old) Confirmation of Employment letter from their spouse’s employer, spouse’s valid passport and an officially translated marriage certificate.
Where do you apply for a Schengen visa in UK?
Depending on the purpose and length of your stay, there are some rules help you to decide at which Embassy or Consulate within the UK you should apply.
If you visit only one country in Schengen Area, you should go to the embassy/consulate representing for that country in UK to submit your visa application.
If you plan to visit more than one Schengen country, you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the country that you spend longer time to stay in.
If visiting more than one Schengen country with equal stay duration – you must apply at the Embassy or Consulate representing the Schengen country you will enter first.
If you intend to spend your time in Europe for more than 90 days, you must apply for a long stay visa not Schengen visa.
Schengen visa application process in UK
To apply for a Schengen visa from UK, you must follow these steps:
- Figure out which Schengen visa type you need
- Find out where you need to apply
- Find the most suitable time to apply
- Book an appointment with the relevant Consulate or Embassy in London.
- Fill out the visa application form
- Gather the required documents
- Attend the visa interview
- Pay the visa fee
- Wait for an answer on your application
How long does it take to get a Schengen visa in the UK ?
Normally, it takes about 15 days for giving the final result from the day you submit your visa application. In some case, it may take up to 30 days if there any problems or more additional requirements during the visa application process.
*Caution: It may take longer to complete the visa processing when you apply for a Schengen visa in the United Kingdom during the summer or winter seasons because these are the months when the highest numbers of applications arrive in Embassies. Therefore, you should plan to apply your visa application earlier and avoid this time.
Schengen visa fees for the UK residents
The fees of a Schengen visa application in the United Kingdom may vary from 36.5£ for children aged between 6 and 12 to 51 £ for adults (depending on currency fluctuations). The fee may subject to change without notice, so check again with the embassy that you will submit your application at.